Stylist and jewelry designer, Scarlet Chamberlin sits down with us to discuss fashion and the upcoming summer season. With a wealth of knowledge about how to wear clothes with confidence, Scarlet works with clients one-on-one to help pull collections together. An advocate for feeling your best by loving what you wear, Scarlet works with clients to find a unique look completely their own. Let's dive in, shall we!
What makes a stylish person in your opinion?
A truly stylish person is someone who has considered their wardrobe and their look and fully owns it. They’ve aligned their look with their essence and personality. They draw on inspiration from a variety of sources for example: pop culture, travel, street style, icons from the past, art, film, theater, science. Some of the most stylish women I’ve met are in their 50s, 60s and 70s. They wear a blend of heirloom, vintage, designer, mass produced, and handmade clothing and accessories. They have lived long enough to know that some of the best looks happen when they experiment, they aren’t afraid of what others think, they have an opinion, they understand quality. I think anyone can wear a stylish outfit, especially if it’s free, but building a stylish wardrobe on one’s own with the confidence to pull it off takes time and a sense of adventure!
- Comfortable shoes! I’m so happy to see lower heeled designer options, thank goodness, and “comfort shoe” brands are finally offering flattering and fashionable styles.
- Waist defining silhouettes. I enjoy wearing boxy layers and flow-y dresses, but it’s really fun to see the return of the figure contouring hourglass silhouette available in all sizes. I love the boning, corsetry, bustier details done in an edgy way this season.
- Tie dye and ombre in understated or subdued tones. Dip dyeing in neutral tones appeals to fashion forward beach babes and a more mature audience looking for visual texture. Great for summer. I love my Kain Label jacket from Parallel!
- No makeup. It’s happening on the runways. And major celebrities, like Reese Witherspoon in the upcoming movie WILD, are choosing not to wear makeup on screen. Now let’s see if the general public adopts it.
Tell us about your process with a client; how do you find the right look?
When I work with clients, my main goal is to bring forth the stylish person inside them. That starts with a solid foundation of knowing what suits your body type and personality. With that filter in mind, we analyze and SORT through the existing wardrobe. Then we go SHOPping with a plan, budget and strategy. I encourage them to try new things. I nudge them towards designers, boutiques, and experiences that are in line with their brand. Then we head back to their home to STYLE outfits, blending the old with the new. I teach them how to combine their pieces in ways that are current, flattering, and interesting. And I supply them with tools to remember everything we covered together. By supporting them in their own discovery, they continue to cultivate their own personal style and succeed when I’m not around. That said, some clients don’t buy anything unless it’s “Scarlet Approved”! I’ve worked with some of my clients now for years in this collaborative way.
What is your summer uniform?
I’ve got 2:
- Flow-y Dress (Currently I’m rocking a Vintage Silk Caftan), Structured Denim Jacket (I’m digging my Comptoir Des Cotonniers), Leather Belt with Metallic Buckle (Cheap Monday), Stacked Heel Leather Sandals (On trend but I’ve always loved. My favorite designer is Calleen Cordero), and Jewels (ABCoLab)!
- Silk Blouse in black or white, a Long Topper (like The Kain Label!), Distressed Denim, refined Black Flats, Bright Pedicure, and a Big Bag. Perfect for long days spent shopping.
If you are interested in learning more about Scarlet or her services, you can find her online here: Twitter, Instagram & her website.
Image courtesy of Scarlet Chamerlin. Article by: Elizabeth Aley