Tuesday, May 20, 2014

How to hand wash silk at home




Have you ever felt anxiety when it comes to hand washing silk? I have, big time. I usually trust my silk delicates to the professionals; I am worried that I will ruin everything!  After my last dry cleaning bill, however,  I decided there has to be a better way.

I went to Tez with my dilemma (sorry Mom) and she recommended the fine ladies at Laundress.  Their resourceful website has tips on how to clean anything (and I mean anything).  Plus their freshly scented detergents smell heavenly, one whiff and I was hooked.

Here is what I learned about washing silk

  • Hand washing silk from home is actually better for your silk items then Dry Cleaning. Who knew!
  • To remove odors, prewash with Vinegar (Laundress has a good scented vinegar option). 
  • If possible, turn the garment inside out while washing. 
  • Only soak for half and hour - No longer! 
  • Some color will be in the water, don't worry that is normal. 
  • Only wash like colors together. 
  • Never, never wring out the garment once you are finished. Let the item hang dry or lay the garment flat on a towel to dry. 
  • Once the item is dry, steam or press the garment flat. 

No comments: